Saturday, May 19, 2012

101 things to do outside with kids #11: get a hammock

For Mother's Day the children gave me a hammock. I swear, there is nothing quite like lying down under a canopy of green leaves and swaying in a hammock. Why am I just now learning to appreciate this? The kids love to climb in and tip out of the hammock, turning it into quite the plaything, indeed. But they are also learning to appreciate the relaxing and comforting feeling of just being there, under the trees. Together we are learning the fine art of taking it easy. Today when I looked outside, J, who is now almost 5, was lying flat on his back in the hammock, just contemplating the patterns of leaves against the sky. Lovely. One of these days I hope we can enjoy an afternoon nap in the sun. Even if you live in an urban area, or a wide-open space with no trees, you can still get a stand for your hammock. Trust me, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment